1934 February

3rd  The St. Louis Cardinals and Browns discontinue broadcasts from Sportsman’s Park. Games had been aired since 1926 but on weekdays for only the last 2 years. The cutback is a response to declining attendance, and the radio broadcasts are thought to keep fans at home.

Powel Crosley, local millionaire, heads a syndicate that buys just over half the stock in the Cincinnati Reds from Sidney Weil. No price is announced. Crosley, owner of a 500,000 watt radio station, is on the board of the Central Trust Bank, and it is the bank that had loaned money to Sidney Weil and his syndicate to buy the Reds. Weil was in the process of raising money to pay off the bank when Crosley’s purchase takes place. The Reds’ home park will be renamed Crosley Field.

4th  The National Recovery Administration says athletes advertising athletic goods must actually use them or advertisers will lose the NRA Blue Eagle and be fined.

6th  Ford Frick, New York newspaperman and sports broadcaster, is named PR director for the NL.

The Reds purchase 43-year-old Dazzy Vance, 6–2 last season, from the Cards. But there is no fire left in Vance’s arm, and he will be waived back to St. Louis in mid-season.

7th The Reds players and officials set sail from New York City to San Juan, P.R. for a month of spring training. They will finish the grapefruit season in Tampa.

13th In an item discovered by historian Doug Pappas, the NL loans the Cincinnati Reds $50,000 at 4.5% interest. Powel Crosley, who bought the team 10 days ago, will repay the Reds’ debt in full by 1938.

14th  Sam Rice is signed by the Cleveland Indians. He will fall 13 short of 3,000 career hits.

15th  Boston, Chicago, Detroit, and Cincinnati grant radio broadcast rights.

16th  Eppa Rixey of the Cincinnati Reds announces his retirement after 21 seasons and a career 266-251 mark. The next day Urban “Red” Faber retires, leaving a 20-year career mark of 254-212, all with the Chicago White Sox.

23rd  Casey Stengel, who had been a Dodger coach, signs a 2-year contract to manage Brooklyn at $10,000 per year. He replaces Max Carey, who had remained quiet after Bill Terry’s remarks last month about Brooklyn still being in the league.

25th  John McGraw, in ill health since his retirement as Giants manager early in the 1932 season, dies of uremia at his home in New Rochelle, NY, at age 60. His last public appearance had been the 1933 All-Star Game as the NL manager. McGraw managed for 33 years.